PDA

View Full Version : what sized box do i need to build?

EF9Si
04-20-2010, 11:11 PM
how big for a alpine SWX-1243D 12" Type X and a PDX-1.1000 Amp (1000 watt RMS) just need some info got me and my buddy got a sick deal on a pair of both of those!

EF9Si
04-22-2010, 03:19 PM
bump

Tim
04-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Depends on the sound you want. .75 to 1 cubic foot sealed or 1.5 - 2 ported.

EF9Si
04-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Depends on the sound you want. .75 to 1 cubic foot sealed or 1.5 - 2 ported.

okay thanks! cause alpine says 2.2 cubic feet ported but me it's more like the design i want to know about, ported i mean. they also say that its 2.2 cubic feet but that doesn't include the almost .2 cubic feet of space the sub takes up so i need to make it 2.4 cubic feet...from there i don't know what to do like for ports and stuff??

Tim
04-22-2010, 03:30 PM
The size includes the sub displacement. The "tighter" the box the snappier the sound. Vented 1.8 cubic feet with a 12" x 1" x 24" vent is "optimal"

EF9Si
04-22-2010, 03:31 PM
The size includes the sub displacement. The "tighter" the box the snappier the sound. Vented 1.8 cubic feet with a 12" x 1" x 24" vent is "optimal"

im a n00b what would be the exact dimensions of the box? round port or rectangle? stuff like that...could you draw me a picture :victory:

Tim
04-22-2010, 03:41 PM
You need to figure out what you want but this will work for you. 14" tall, 17" wide and 14" deep. Then use a 3" ABS pipe as the port cut to 12".

Tim
04-22-2010, 03:44 PM
I can build it for you for $120 including all material if you want.

EF9Si
04-22-2010, 03:45 PM
You need to figure out what you want but this will work for you. 14" tall, 17" wide and 14" deep. Then use a 3" ABS pipe as the port cut to 12".

thanks alot! i want it to sound kick ass! will the freq go down to the lowest the sub goes?

EF9Si
04-22-2010, 03:46 PM
I can build it for you for $120 including all material if you want.

thanks for the offer but i already have the MDF wood and all that shit! i just ordered 2 ports...cause the deal is i got two type x's and two alpine amps and 0 gauge wiring for 200$ for the whole kit so we split up the kit!

Tim
04-22-2010, 03:48 PM
thanks alot! i want it to sound kick ass! will the freq go down to the lowest the sub goes?

Now you are getting into tuning the box. That's best left to someone who knows what they are doing. The dimensions I posted above are just a box that will work and sound decent.

Tim
04-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Build the box the manual says for vented. That will sound best.

Tim
04-22-2010, 03:56 PM
If you want me to build you the "perfect" box PM me. I can give you a better deal if you want 2 done and you supply the MDF.

HBoy
04-22-2010, 04:09 PM
If it's your first box and you're running a decent amount of power to it I would stick with a sealed box. It will play plenty low and you'll run less of a risk destroying the speaker.

It's also a lot smaller.

Problem with the ported box is if you get it wrong and play notes that are below the tuning frequency you have more than enough juice there to kill the sub off pretty quick.

Tim
04-22-2010, 04:13 PM
If it's your first box and you're running a decent amount of power to it I would stick with a sealed box. It will play plenty low and you'll run less of a risk destroying the speaker.

It's also a lot smaller.

Problem with the ported box is if you get it wrong and play notes that are below the tuning frequency you have more than enough juice there to kill the sub off pretty quick.

+1 but you will get lower frequencies from a vented box.

EF9Si
04-22-2010, 04:15 PM

It's also a lot smaller.

cant the sub take it? its 1000 watt peak 3000 watt max
and the max the sub will put out is 1000 watts?

Tim
04-22-2010, 04:20 PM
I am so not getting into this discussion again. You can just as easily blow a sub by under powering it. Long story short. Heat is what kills the sub.

EF9Si
04-22-2010, 04:21 PM
I am so not getting into this discussion again. You can just as easily blow a sub by under powering it. Long story short. Heat is what kills the sub.

ohh okay i see! turn the gain up shut the fuck up and let your car fall apart? is that what youre trying to say?

Tim
04-22-2010, 04:22 PM
ohh okay i see! turn the gain up shut the fuck up and let your car fall apart? is that what youre trying to say?

No. not at all. Distortion is not your friend.

EF9Si
04-22-2010, 04:23 PM
No. not at all. Distortion is not your friend.
theres soo much thinking involved with this!!! sub and amp for sale!!

HBoy
04-23-2010, 09:33 AM
theres soo much thinking involved with this!!! sub and amp for sale!!

If you're serious I'll get them off you if you pass along your smoking deal.

PS- to start a new argument, sealed boxes play lower, ported boxes play louder.

EF9Si
04-23-2010, 09:38 AM
If you're serious I'll get them off you if you pass along your smoking deal.

PS- to start a new argument, sealed boxes play lower, ported boxes play louder.

im kidding but my buddy built a sick looking L port box to the alpine specs waiting for 24 hours for the silicone to dry!

Tim
04-23-2010, 09:59 AM
im kidding but my buddy built a sick looking L port box to the alpine specs waiting for 24 hours for the silicone to dry!

Silicone????? Wood glue FTW.

HBoy
04-23-2010, 10:01 AM
Damn, I wanted it.

But seriously, you have more than enough power to play that thing plenty loud, do the small sealed box, save a bunch of space and a bunch of weight.

HBoy
04-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Silicone????? Wood glue FTW.

Agreed, let it cure for a long time. Some silicone sealant fumes will actually eat away at the glue used to assemble your sub. 24 hours left open should be the minimum I think. If it still smells strong don't put the sub in.

EF9Si
04-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Agreed, let it cure for a long time. Some silicone sealant fumes will actually eat away at the glue used to assemble your sub. 24 hours left open should be the minimum I think. If it still smells strong don't put the sub in.

i used wood glue to hold together but silicone to seal it!

Tim
04-23-2010, 12:57 PM
i used wood glue to hold together but silicone to seal it!

If you used wood glue on the seams (properly) it is sealed.

shon
04-24-2010, 07:56 AM
Yawn!

EF9Si
04-25-2010, 12:42 AM
Yawn!

the built box sounds amazing! never heard bass like that before, sub goes so low you hear bass you didn't know existed. Only problem and I hope it's not a big one, after long bass hits like in amili the four 20 amp fuses blow, now that's running it in a 2009 honda civic with 4 gauge wire no cap, my guess is it's a shitty ground but i'd like other peoples input! once again the amp is an alpine PDX 1.1000 and a Alpine Type X 12" sub.

HBoy
04-26-2010, 08:15 AM
Ground is the more important wire of the two. It should be at least 4ga. in this case and as short as possible. Male sure it's bolted tight to the car, a self tapping screw won't cut it.

You shouldn't be blowing 80 amps worth of fuses unless something is wrong.

shon
04-27-2010, 12:00 PM
What impedence is your sub? (dual 2 ohm..dual 4 ohm voice coils?)
If you have dual 2 ohm coils, you will have to series them instead of parralell. that amp doesnt like a 1 ohm load.

EF9Si
04-27-2010, 12:01 PM
What impedence is your sub? (dual 2 ohm..dual 4 ohm voice coils?)
If you have dual 2 ohm coils, you will have to series them instead of parralell. that amp doesnt like a 1 ohm load.

the sub has like 6 ways it could be wired i have it in 2+2 mode or something like that...

shon
04-27-2010, 12:14 PM
sounds like your running 1 ohm..that amp only wants 2 ohm. unfortunately, you will have to series the voice coils..and run it 4 ohm.

Tim
04-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Pretty sure that sub is dual 4's shon. you should be running 2ohm if wired parallel. Ohm out the sub and see if it's screwed? You should not be blowing those fuses unless the amp is screwed or the load is to much. Even with shitty wiring it's odd to blow all the fuses. Pop by tonight and I can tell you in 2 minutes what the issue is or go see Shon.

EF9Si
04-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Pretty sure that sub is dual 4's shon. you should be running 2ohm if wired parallel. Ohm out the sub and see if it's screwed? You should not be blowing those fuses unless the amp is screwed or the load is to much. Even with shitty wiring it's odd to blow all the fuses. Pop by tonight and I can tell you in 2 minutes what the issue is or go see Shon.

hmm sounds like a plan! ill check in with my friend as its in his car!

shon
04-28-2010, 01:33 AM
Ground is the more important wire of the two. It should be at least 4ga. in this case and as short as possible. Male sure it's bolted tight to the car, a self tapping screw won't cut it.

You shouldn't be blowing 80 amps worth of fuses unless something is wrong.

actually your wrong! ground is not more impt than power. 12volt..is 12 volt. theres this huge myth that ground is the fault of all problems, and noises.
ppl have engine noise....some dummy says...sounds like ya got a bad ground.
everything flows in a constant path..your positive is as important as your ground. each has the same responsibility..and consequences, when theres a fault.
a piece of 8 awg can pass 180 amps over 8 inches.
from what Ive read from this thread..at a low freaquensy..at long periods..the fuzes blow..
If you guys have ever seen an 80 amp..bad ground...it lights up like whosits wife when i walk in the room..lol
IMO.. he is running a dual 2 ohm sub..in paralel.. 1 ohm.. the class d ampès power supply goes to full clip..drawing huge current.. remeber..lower frequency draws bigger current..
and does those amps..go from regulated power supplies,,to unregulated at clip....CLASS D AMPS ARE SLOW SWITCHING. and a long 30hz sinewave at 1 ohm would do this....a bad connection..would smoke...
the one thing you guys should get out of this is that...whos its wife is hot...

HBoy
04-28-2010, 07:35 AM
actually your wrong! ground is not more impt than power. 12volt..is 12 volt. theres this huge myth that ground is the fault of all problems, and noises.
ppl have engine noise....some dummy says...sounds like ya got a bad ground.
everything flows in a constant path..your positive is as important as your ground. each has the same responsibility..and consequences, when theres a fault.
a piece of 8 awg can pass 180 amps over 8 inches.
from what Ive read from this thread..at a low freaquensy..at long periods..the fuzes blow..
If you guys have ever seen an 80 amp..bad ground...it lights up like whosits wife when i walk in the room..lol
IMO.. he is running a dual 2 ohm sub..in paralel.. 1 ohm.. the class d ampès power supply goes to full clip..drawing huge current.. remeber..lower frequency draws bigger current..
and does those amps..go from regulated power supplies,,to unregulated at clip....CLASS D AMPS ARE SLOW SWITCHING. and a long 30hz sinewave at 1 ohm would do this....a bad connection..would smoke...
the one thing you guys should get out of this is that...whos its wife is hot...

Actually I was saying that because typically you see DIY installs with a monster 1awg power and an 10awg ground with a crimp terminal and a self drilling screw. The reason I said it is slightly more important is because electrons flow from the ground to the positive in a DC sytem.

Just trying to get the obvious out of the way. He should be wiring his coils in series as well.

Not so patiently waiting for pics of whosits wife............

Tim
04-28-2010, 07:39 AM
Actually I was saying that because typically you see DIY installs with a monster 1awg power and an 10awg ground with a crimp terminal and a self drilling screw. The reason I said it is slightly more important is because electrons flow from the ground to the positive in a DC sytem.

Just trying to get the obvious out of the way. He should be wiring his coils in series as well.

Not so patiently waiting for pics of whosits wife............

One was posted not to long ago..... And Shon.... Unless he posted the model wrong it's dual 4's mind you it is odd that he said running it 2 + 2. I was going to look at it last night but was busy. Corey if you still want me to look at it tonight PM me.

EF9Si
04-28-2010, 11:53 AM
http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/swx-1243d/Specs this is the sub doesn't tell me what kind of voice coil it is! Tonight i might be able to come out and meet up to double check but i'm not sure if ill be able to i'm probably towing my car to manotic with my buddy but ill check it out! what do i need to bring?

Tim
04-28-2010, 11:55 AM
That sub is dual 4ohm coils. You should have both positives together and both negatives together from each coil and get a 2 ohm load.

EF9Si
04-28-2010, 12:01 PM
That sub is dual 4ohm coils. You should have both positives together and both negatives together from each coil and get a 2 ohm load.

waiitttttttt a minute?!?! both positive and both negative? so my problem right now is only having two wires going into the box instead of 4? IF you want to talk in detail about this plz call me @ 613 899 7690! Thanks Tim!

Tim
04-28-2010, 12:04 PM
You can have one wire into the box as long as both coils are hooked to it. On the sub there is 2 positives and 2 negatives. Both positives to the + on the amp and both negatives to the - on the amp.

Tim
04-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Ummmm.... That amp will run 1000wrms in 4 or 2 ohm if I remember correctly. I believe each voice coil on the sub is 500wrms right? If you only had one coil hooked up you may of damaged your sub which would explain the fuses blowing since the coils resistance may be lowered.

shon
04-29-2010, 08:54 AM
come see me at work..ill be here till 9 pm

DJTR
04-29-2010, 11:30 AM
how big for a alpine SWX-1243D 12" Type X and a PDX-1.1000 Amp (1000 watt RMS) just need some info got me and my buddy got a sick deal on a pair of both of those!

wait a minute..... dude. you have money from speakers and shit but don't you owe Moose money?

EF9Si
04-29-2010, 11:34 AM
wait a minute..... dude. you have money from speakers and shit but don't you owe Moose money?
who said i paid for them?

WRX_KTC
04-29-2010, 12:28 PM
ported is where its at

shon
04-29-2010, 11:29 PM
ported is where its at

Yessir! I like the cut of yer jib! Unfortunately, all boxes cant be ported. when you building a small enclosure under a seat, or in a wierd spot thats small. ya heve to go sealed.
also if a sub is realy close, like in the 350z job, its better to go sealed because the port noise is not worth it.

Tim
04-30-2010, 07:58 AM
Yessir! I like the cut of yer jib! Unfortunately, all boxes cant be ported. when you building a small enclosure under a seat, or in a wierd spot thats small. ya heve to go sealed.
also if a sub is realy close, like in the 350z job, its better to go sealed because the port noise is not worth it.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Now cook me breakfast!

RobertGoulet
04-30-2010, 02:11 PM
I kind of wish I went sealed with my RE it isn't as great as everyone made it out to be. I made a 3.65 cu ft ported box (before displacement) tuned to 32 hz, and it doesn't play that tight. Sure it gets low and loud but meh.

BTW clearly stolen gear if two bills for that shit. Sure deals can be had, but a shitty condition pdx1000.1 would net $200+ itself.

EF9Si
05-01-2010, 01:59 AM
I kind of wish I went sealed with my RE it isn't as great as everyone made it out to be. I made a 3.65 cu ft ported box (before displacement) tuned to 32 hz, and it doesn't play that tight. Sure it gets low and loud but meh.

BTW clearly stolen gear if two bills for that shit. Sure deals can be had, but a shitty condition pdx1000.1 would net $200+ itself.

not stolen, dumb ass ex owner lol.

97Dc4
05-04-2010, 04:05 PM

Has no money to pay Moose but can buy car audio cause it was a "sick deal"..

What a fucking loser you are!