Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Prius PHEV Rated at 87 MPGe

  1. #1
    Contributer
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    11,134
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Prius PHEV Rated at 87 MPGe



    After debuting the car earlier this week at the Frankfurt Auto Show, Toyota has now released official details on the new Prius Plug-in Hybrid including expected fuel economy numbers. While it’s not quite up to the much-hyped Chevy Volt, the Prius PHEV will feature, “more affordable pricing than pure electric or range-extender type vehicles,” says Toyota; though no numbers have yet been released.

    With a 15 mile electric only range, it falls well short of the Volt and is a few ticks shy in terms of a MPGe (miles per gallon equivalent) rating of 87 MPGe, compared to 96 for the Volt. However, the Prius PHEV is more efficient after, with a 49-mpg rating once it reverts to its conventional hybrid mode, compared to 37-mpg with the Volt. And if it matters to your wallet, the Toyota uses conventional 87 octane gas, while the Volt required premium.

    Charging for the Prius PHEV doesn’t take too long with a 2.5 to 3 hour charge using a conventional 120v household outlet or just 1.5 hours with a more powerful 240v household outlet.

    With the use of a lithium-ion battery pack, the Prius PHEV does gain 123 lbs but doesn’t give up any space in the passenger or cargo departments. One thing it does gain Toyota’s new Entune system, as first seen on the Prius v. Additions to this system for the PHEV include Charge Management, Remote Air Conditioning System, Charging Station Map, Vehicle Finder and an Eco Dashboard.
    Read the full story at AutoGuide.com

  2. #2
    Administrator DannyITR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We are getting there!

  3. #3
    Legacy Member Trueno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would love to see a long term comparo between say the Prius, the VOLT and 2 other gas only eco-box.

    $ per KM (electric and fuel charges)
    Price of purchase and maintaince
    Resale value after 3-4-5 years

    I'm convinced that a nicely equiped econobox like an Accent or even a Versa would still come up on top... and be less poluting from initial conception to when the car is recycled in 10-15 years.

  4. #4
    Legacy Member The Full Monty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Wherever its awesome
    Posts
    8,493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The re-sale of a hybrid will always be more than a gas car. Unless gas prices drop drastically, hybrids will be worth money. People are not buying them to save the planet anymore...They're buying them because of their economy. If you notice, when the first hybrids came out, it was all about emissions and clean air and less pollution. Now, with hybrids, its all about the MPGs, and they mention the environment second.

    I'm a fan of Hybrid cars. 10 year old Priuses are still on the road today and most with their original batteries. Now if they incorporated their hybrid technology in a Corolla and Yaris, then that would be more appealing to some buyers. The prius name has that "hippy" mindset to big fat 'mericans who seem to hate the thing.
    Some people call me the Space Cowboy.

  5. #5
    Legacy Member G-PWR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ye Ole' Munster Hamlet
    Posts
    22,310
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Full Monty View Post
    The re-sale of a hybrid will always be more than a gas car. Unless gas prices drop drastically, hybrids will be worth money. People are not buying them to save the planet anymore...They're buying them because of their economy. If you notice, when the first hybrids came out, it was all about emissions and clean air and less pollution. Now, with hybrids, its all about the MPGs, and they mention the environment second.

    I'm a fan of Hybrid cars. 10 year old Priuses are still on the road today and most with their original batteries. Now if they incorporated their hybrid technology in a Corolla and Yaris, then that would be more appealing to some buyers. The prius name has that "hippy" mindset to big fat 'mericans who seem to hate the thing.
    TDIs > the MPG game though... hybrids are pointless. give me an EV, then we can talk numbers with your cousin Elias.

    "I can't make you look stupid any more than Betty Crocker can bake a cake out of fuckin' thin air. It's not that I want to be an asshole, it's just that it comes so easily and I lack either the restraint or good will to say nothing at all."

  6. #6
    Legacy Member The Full Monty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Wherever its awesome
    Posts
    8,493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G-PWR View Post
    hybrids are pointless.
    How?


    And yes, Diesels are a lot more efficient, but you have to remember, they have to incorporate the fact that its a low -emissions vehicle. Clean diesels are JUST coming out now, where as hybrids were the only ULEV when they were out. Hybrids are not useless. For emissions, they're great. There's reasons why Big cities use them as commercial vehicles. (taxis, busses, coca cola trucks). Their main goal is emissions, but the only way to sell them to dumb people who say hybrids are for gays and hippes, is buy advertising how great the fuel economy is. Think about it. What's going to sell...a campaign that says "this car is good for the environment and is earth friendly" or "87MPGe" ?
    Some people call me the Space Cowboy.

  7. #7
    Legacy Member Trueno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Full Monty View Post
    How?


    And yes, Diesels are a lot more efficient, but you have to remember, they have to incorporate the fact that its a low -emissions vehicle. Clean diesels are JUST coming out now, where as hybrids were the only ULEV when they were out. Hybrids are not useless. For emissions, they're great. There's reasons why Big cities use them as commercial vehicles. (taxis, busses, coca cola trucks). Their main goal is emissions, but the only way to sell them to dumb people who say hybrids are for gays and hippes, is buy advertising how great the fuel economy is. Think about it. What's going to sell...a campaign that says "this car is good for the environment and is earth friendly" or "87MPGe" ?
    I'm with you on the Hybrid. I love the idea of the VOLT. I can have my electric vehicle only, for commuting to work and my long range gas sipping vehicle, for weekend outing.

    TDI/Hybrids!

    Imagine the MPG's (and the price .... )

  8. #8
    Legacy Member G-PWR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ye Ole' Munster Hamlet
    Posts
    22,310
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Full Monty View Post
    How?



    Quote Originally Posted by The Full Monty View Post
    And yes, Diesels are a lot more efficient,
    oh yea that's how.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Full Monty View Post
    but you have to remember, they have to incorporate the fact that its a low -emissions vehicle.
    If people aren't buying them to be green, then forget about clean diesel technology, just buy dirty old diesel technology and achieve better MPG.

    "I can't make you look stupid any more than Betty Crocker can bake a cake out of fuckin' thin air. It's not that I want to be an asshole, it's just that it comes so easily and I lack either the restraint or good will to say nothing at all."

  9. #9
    Legacy Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    2,202
    A.K.A: cloud_strife75
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I love how battery use is touted as environment friendly... yet we have no way to recycle/re use them once they are useless.

    Holy toxic battery Captain Planet!
    ------------ 2010 Black Mica Mazdaspeed 3 ------------
    14.8 @ 95.4MPH at Shitville dragway


  10. #10
    Legacy Member The Full Monty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Wherever its awesome
    Posts
    8,493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G-PWR View Post
    Explain how Hybrids are pointless. That's what i want to know.
    Some people call me the Space Cowboy.

  11. #11
    Legacy Member G-PWR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ye Ole' Munster Hamlet
    Posts
    22,310
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Full Monty View Post
    Explain how Hybrids are pointless. That's what i want to know.
    They're not the best for mpg and they're not greener than clean diesel. They are redundant.

    I am selling a sweet 486 with turbo button; interested? It's really expensive and not really that great compared to anything else on the market; actually it's inferior in a few ways

    "I can't make you look stupid any more than Betty Crocker can bake a cake out of fuckin' thin air. It's not that I want to be an asshole, it's just that it comes so easily and I lack either the restraint or good will to say nothing at all."

  12. #12
    Senior Member MMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    214
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hybrids are not the answer IMHO. Just drive a smaller, lighter, less complicated car with a good diesel. Better than a hybrid in any way...... other than being able to tell the Joneses "look at me....I drive a hybrid"

  13. #13
    Legacy Member G-PWR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ye Ole' Munster Hamlet
    Posts
    22,310
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    the only thing Hybrids are good at is they are basically a paid-for-by-the-consumer research project on how to make more efficient batteries so the cars that actually matter (EVs) are devellopped, because one day we will run out of even Diesel.

    "I can't make you look stupid any more than Betty Crocker can bake a cake out of fuckin' thin air. It's not that I want to be an asshole, it's just that it comes so easily and I lack either the restraint or good will to say nothing at all."

  14. #14
    Legacy Member The Full Monty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Wherever its awesome
    Posts
    8,493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I dunno man. For emissions, i think they top the charts. Take a very fuel efficient car side by side with a hybrid and see how much emmissions they put out in the same amount of mileage. That was the main goal here with hybrids. They just can't advertise it that way because being green is for hippy fags these days, according to some people. Now if you want to talk about the recycling stage, etc, well that's a different story. But it's purpose is met witht he whole emmisions thing. The gas engine is so you could use it on long distances. I saw a Full EV, the nissan Leaf, at Hunt Club Nissan the other day and that is a "fuel efficient" car. Only good in town though, so if you like road trips, you're stuck buying 2 cars, or renting one, but can't use yoru primary vehicle for it. With a Hybrid, you can do both. And Save the environment at the same time lol
    Some people call me the Space Cowboy.

  15. #15
    Legacy Member G-PWR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ye Ole' Munster Hamlet
    Posts
    22,310
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Full Monty View Post
    I dunno man. For emissions, i think they top the charts. Take a very fuel efficient car side by side with a hybrid and see how much emmissions they put out in the same amount of mileage. That was the main goal here with hybrids. They just can't advertise it that way because being green is for hippy fags these days, according to some people. Now if you want to talk about the recycling stage, etc, well that's a different story. But it's purpose is met witht he whole emmisions thing. The gas engine is so you could use it on long distances. I saw a Full EV, the nissan Leaf, at Hunt Club Nissan the other day and that is a "fuel efficient" car. Only good in town though, so if you like road trips, you're stuck buying 2 cars, or renting one, but can't use yoru primary vehicle for it. With a Hybrid, you can do both. And Save the environment at the same time lol
    you're not saving the environment with a hybrid. You're hurting it.

    Now if you want to talk about the recycling stage, etc, well that's a different story. But it's purpose is met witht he whole emmisions thing.
    if I want to talk about it? It's part of the equation so it's not really that I want to talk about it, it's that in this scenario a+b=c and the recycling stage (and shipping of materials at the inception as well) is b. You gotta consider it.

    "I can't make you look stupid any more than Betty Crocker can bake a cake out of fuckin' thin air. It's not that I want to be an asshole, it's just that it comes so easily and I lack either the restraint or good will to say nothing at all."

  16. #16
    Legacy Member The Full Monty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Wherever its awesome
    Posts
    8,493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Everything is hurting the environment. The process of making a cell phone is hurting the environment. Everytime you flush the toilet you're hurting the environemnt.

    If the concern was all about fuel economy and efficiency, then why can't they just import every diesel model here? Problem solved, no need for hybrids. Smog and air pollution was the concern, and hybrids were the half solution. If you look at early articles about the insight, prius, etc, they say it all about air pollution and how good it is for the air. Now, a great way to sell them is MPGs.

    Get used to it. Hybrids are here to stay, and Electric vehicles are going to take over. May be a while, but its coming. It only took 10 years to have a Full, 0 emission, gasoline free car available to the masses, thanks to Nissan. Others will follow, because that's the thing now.

    And don;t tell me plugging it in in bad for the environment...because plugging in your toaster while your coffee machine is going while your wifes hair dryer and curling iron are going and you charging your shaver while the garage is getting heated is also hurting the environment.

    That's a hippy momment, man.
    Some people call me the Space Cowboy.

  17. #17
    Legacy Member shlammed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kingston
    Posts
    222
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would love to see all of these new hybrid cars compared to an EF civic with the d15.

    Your going about it wrong people. You want to save the environment you need a small car that tightly fits 4 and you might be able to cram 5 into if you really need to.
    HellaFab Custom Fabrication
    www.facebook.com/HellaFab

  18. #18
    Legacy Member G-PWR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ye Ole' Munster Hamlet
    Posts
    22,310
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Full Monty View Post
    Everything is hurting the environment. The process of making a cell phone is hurting the environment. Everytime you flush the toilet you're hurting the environemnt.
    yea I know; but if the hybrids ARE NOT more enviromentally friendly than a clean diesel, nor are they able to offer better MPG... what are they good for? As I said, it's only a paid-for-by-the-consumer pilot program to create full EVs... nothing more; the fact that people eat up the marketing and pay a premium for this shit is what makes me laugh.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Full Monty View Post
    If the concern was all about fuel economy and efficiency, then why can't they just import every diesel model here? Problem solved, no need for hybrids. Smog and air pollution was the concern, and hybrids were the half solution. If you look at early articles about the insight, prius, etc, they say it all about air pollution and how good it is for the air. Now, a great way to sell them is MPGs.
    oh I dunno, build them here so you dont have to import them? Ford did it in Indonesia didn't they?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Full Monty View Post
    Get used to it. Hybrids are here to stay, and Electric vehicles are going to take over. May be a while, but its coming. It only took 10 years to have a Full, 0 emission, gasoline free car available to the masses, thanks to Nissan. Others will follow, because that's the thing now.
    hybrids are on their way out as soon as the technology to have fully electronic cars become a viable option for long distance driving.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Full Monty View Post
    And don;t tell me plugging it in in bad for the environment...because plugging in your toaster while your coffee machine is going while your wifes hair dryer and curling iron are going and you charging your shaver while the garage is getting heated is also hurting the environment.

    That's a hippy momment, man.
    you got the wrong guy; I dont care about the environment; just picking apart arguments for hybrids based on them being more "eco friendly" than anything else...

    "I can't make you look stupid any more than Betty Crocker can bake a cake out of fuckin' thin air. It's not that I want to be an asshole, it's just that it comes so easily and I lack either the restraint or good will to say nothing at all."

  19. #19
    Senior Member j-b5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    ottawa
    Posts
    2,368
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Phev

    ghev

    ghey

  20. #20
    Legacy Member The Full Monty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Wherever its awesome
    Posts
    8,493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G-PWR View Post
    yea I know; but if the hybrids ARE NOT more enviromentally friendly than a clean diesel, nor are they able to offer better MPG... what are they good for? As I said, it's only a paid-for-by-the-consumer pilot program to create full EVs... nothing more; the fact that people eat up the marketing and pay a premium for this shit is what makes me laugh.



    oh I dunno, build them here so you dont have to import them? Ford did it in Indonesia didn't they?



    hybrids are on their way out as soon as the technology to have fully electronic cars become a viable option for long distance driving.



    you got the wrong guy; I dont care about the environment; just picking apart arguments for hybrids based on them being more "eco friendly" than anything else...

    cool story bro
    Some people call me the Space Cowboy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •