Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving the 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Contributer
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Driving the 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Major refresh gains power, demands respect

With the video camera strapped to another Genesis Coupe just inches off my front bumper, I drop into second and hammer on the throttle mid corner to create a heroic moment.

What happened next could politely be described as the result of an overzealous action on my part. A less polite description might simply say I was being stupid.

Instead of a dramatic power slide, the tail of my Tsukuba Red Korean sports car slaps right around, I spin, off-track and into the dust and rocks that line the Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch outside Las Vegas.

My experience, while humbling, has also provided an opportunity to learn some important things about the updated Genesis Coupe. First, its upgraded engine now means it deserves some serious respect. And second, as much fun as the new three-stage stability control system is, off is most certainly off.

NEW LOOK CAN TAKE SOME GETTING USED TO

A lot has changed at Hyundai over the past few years. The Korean automakerís vehicles have gone from being a third rate choice, to some of the best in the industry. The brandís lineup now includes a long list of sedans and crossovers that are efficient, good looking, well priced and packed with value. Still, despite shocking the industry with the Genesis Coupe back in 2009, Hyundai is not known for building cars that are fun to drive.

Another step in changing that perception comes with a model refresh to the rear-drive, two-door Genesis; with improvements as dramatic as was the introduction of the car itself into the Hyundai lineup.

Rather than just some new bodywork, the Genesis Coupe is almost a new car. The silhouette may have remained much the same but the Veloster-style nose with a large black opening, more angular headlights and sculpted hood make the car look less sleek, although decidedly more aggressive. Originally repelled by the new look, I already prefer it.

An updated fascia is, however, an expected mid-cycle upgrade. The engine updates are not.
    Read the full 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Review and watch the Video at AutoGuide.com

Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait to take the 2013's for a rip when they arrive at my work. The 70hp boost to the 2.0T should be a very nice improvement, same goes for 45-50hp increase in the 3.8.
    02 Subaru WRX Sedona Red Pearl - DD
    69 Buick Skylark more door - project car. still.

Post Thanks / Like

Good work to Hyundai. The veloster turbo comes out this spring too, and is partially the reason for bumping the power in the genesis.
    LOL

Post Thanks / Like

^^ That and the current model is slow as hell. The first time I drove a Genesis 2.0T I was not very impressed. Hell, my stock 02 WRX has more balls than the current 2.0T Genesis.
    02 Subaru WRX Sedona Red Pearl - DD
    69 Buick Skylark more door - project car. still.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 69Skylark View Post
    ^^ That and the current model is slow as hell. The first time I drove a Genesis 2.0T I was not very impressed. Hell, my stock 02 WRX has more balls than the current 2.0T Genesis.
    yeah, if i had a first gen i'd be trading mine in towards this one.
    LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like the front end look on the new 2013's...

Post Thanks / Like

I think it looks really nice.

A.K.A: sha-d
    Post Thanks / Like

i think all manufactures should lose the massive black "grilles"

other than that, i in love
    Will Power is a Selfishness for oneself to Succeed

99 9-3

Legacy Member
    A.K.A: cloud_strife75
    Post Thanks / Like

Took them long enough for the much- needed power bump.

2.0T > 3.8L now
    ------------ 2010 Black Mica Mazdaspeed 3 ------------
    14.8 @ 95.4MPH at Shitville dragway

A.K.A: b6turbo
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd still take a 2nd hand g35

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by b6turbo View Post
    I'd still take a 2nd hand g35

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    quoted for truths

Legacy Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pricing tops out at $34,250 – roughly $5,000 less than a fully loaded Nissan 370Z.

stop reading here

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

You gotta give it to them - they have come a long way from 5 years ago. They might not be Nissan yet but bang for the buck has closed the gap by a lot in the past few years.

-Michael
    Contact hackish@gmail.com. 819-778-7047 but email is far more reliable as I may or may not be in the city, province or even country. Tuning Honda, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Lotus, Mini, VW/Audi, Ford, Dodge and GM. Hyundai coming soon!

A.K.A: b6turbo
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Considering the old 2.0t was just about as fast as a civic si (10+) on certain tracks, I'm hoping the power is useful in these cars compared to the old one. I personally would rather have a 370z seeing as how 5000$ over the regular cost of buying it now is 60 months @ 0.99% if you buy it at the right time? Just my opinion I actually like the look of the previous genesis rather then this awful looking front end. That being said I really hope I'm wrong about it all and would like to see a new upcoming car in the game.

Post Thanks / Like

I test drove a 2012 2.0T this week and was super disappointed. It's so slow!! Myers Hyundai in Kanata is getting a blue 2013 in a couple of weeks apparently, so I'm looking forward to test driving that... it's a couple thousand more than the 2012, though... ever convincing me to just buy a used luxury German hautomobeel

60 months is 0% right now on the 2012s... even the 72 mos is only 0.9%

Post Thanks / Like

dont the typical bolt-ons and chip liven things up? My old jetta was pretty damn slow in stock form but a simple chip-tune gave it a MASSIVE kick in the pants.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy with the power I'm putting out on my Genesis.

This car is all about torque... When the numbers are high, it becomes really fun to drive, especially with an upgraded clutch/flywheel.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm comparing straight-line performance from a 2009 WRX sedan to the 2012 Genesis Coupe and the WRX took the cake, hands down. The WRX had more balls (obviously not from a dig, that wouldn't be fair).

I'm going to test drive a 2013 tonight, so we'll see what the extra ~50hp brings...

Post Thanks / Like

How did the test drive go? I saw a white 2013 genesis coupe at the Bells Corners dealership. I wonder how long the wait is going to be to get one of these?!

You can't even order a Veloster right now, lol. Hyundai, lookin good, but you can't even buy one. Someone dropped the ball on manufacturing capabilities.
    Since 2002

2010 GLK 350
    2007 CRV
    2002 Mustang GT