Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Spring 2012 kayaking shots!

A.K.A: silverprotege02
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Some Spring 2012 kayaking shots!

Well, as some of you had liked seeing my stuff last year, I figured id post some more from this season!!!

spring was short this year.
    Early warm weather melted most of our snow/ice pack a little early. Therefore, choices had to be made when it came to rivers we planned on running on weekends. Bought some new gear this year (Drysuit/Fullface,New Kayak) as I had planned on stepping my game up quite a bit. Aimed on steeper, shallower, tighter and more challenging runs than my usual big water pool drop rapids I was used to! The fullface came in quite handy on one perticular run lol..

Heres a Mashup of last year with a nice beatdown/fail/carnage section at the end.

As for this years pictures well we hit up a a couple runs in the Lower Laurentians near tremblant, Blakeney rapids in Almonte and Hogsback Falls Downtown Ottawa.

Here are some shots for you viewing pleasure. Keep in mind that the wide angle of the Gopro takes away all the gradient in the big drops..most of them were on average 50 feet high over 50-80 yards long.:

Blakeney Rapids:

Upper Ouareau River:

Hogsback Falls:

Photo: Me, Edit: Richard Webster:

Here are some other shots I didnt take of some of my buddies on the Spring big water madness:

Ill post some more in a few days/week.

Cheers,

John

2. Like Jdc Likes this post
    Post Thanks / Like

very cool.

4. Like 97Dc4 Likes this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wicked little vid.. makes me want to try it

6. Like 97Dc4 Likes this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Come try it! Gear for a whole day is about 35$/day rental at Paddleshack, Trailhead. We can have a morning basics training here in town and then a run on the Ottawa in the PM or the next day! The thing about the Ottawa river near Beachburg is that its Big water, deep, somewhat intimidating for beginner-intermediates, rapids end in a big pool/lake and its super safe! As long as you know how to swim!

If anyone is serious about trying out kayaking, ill gladly take the time to teach the basics on weeknights after 4pm at Champlain.

If you are somewhat of a bigger buy like me ie: 185-250 pounds, my gear will most likely fit ya so no need for a rental when were in town so no need to rent, therefore, free!

Legacy Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks awesome

9. Like 97Dc4 Likes this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Heres a video of my run down Hogsback!

To clarify what happened with the skirt:
    I am not equipped with implosion bars. My intention was to take a stroke on my right side at the lip of the drop and land flat but I was too far right and couldnt. Therefore, I plugged deep and my skirt imploded upon impact. I managed to roll back up but the boat quickly filled up with water and I had to ditch the boat as I was headed towards rocks and a pourover and eating a boat in the face surely aint pleasant! lol.

11. Like Jdc Likes this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You ever get hurt doing this?
    2007 Mini Cooper S
    2011 Mazdaspeed 3 (Sold)
    2005 Mazda RX-8 (Sold)
    2005 Mini Cooper S (Sold)
    2001 Mustang GT (Sold)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xenon View Post
    You ever get hurt doing this?
    Yeah, hurt, scared, beat up and almost losing your life! It depends what risks you take and how you can manage them.

People tend to think that rapids are cause by rocks below the surface. FALSE. Rocks are usually 5-10 foot below the surface on big water rivers. So nothing much can happen there besides getting worked a little in a pourover.... Creeks.. well thats another deal. Its pushy, Big and Shallow. Dont flip or consequences could and usually are : Concussion, busted collar bone/ribs, broken nose, cuts on face/hands and the most common injury on ALL rivers are dislocated shoulders.

Ive gotten beat up in a hole (see second last photo, a hole is the white foam pile that usually keeps a boat in and a swimmer in certain occasions) and had to swim out.. got rocked a few times and then spit out.. I wasnt hurt but my ego was brused and I got scared a little. This spring on a creek in the Laurentians.. I fucked up a rapid and ate some rovks to the head, ripped off my Gopro and had a sore neck for 3 days.. But its all worth it to me! Whe I fuck up something, I usually go back and do it right away after having thought about what I did wrong the first time!

Here are some videos on what getting beatdown in a hole refers to :This a beatdown video of the boys from quebec. When the guy is stuck in place and trying to surf out of it and getting flipped ans shit.. Yeah that happens!

heres another videos of the boys who are really pushing to sport and the limits lately!:
    Last edited by 97Dc4; 04-20-2012 at 09:45 AM.

14. Like Jdc Likes this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Holy fuck... that first drop in the second video (@ 1:18 ) is SICK! What the fuck is wrong with them?! lol

Post Thanks / Like

HAHAHA Well.. they are the top kayakers in the world and have been hucking 30-60 footers for the past decade! Now they step it up a notch! Actually, Tyler Bradt has world record for 189 feet drop of Palouse Falls:

17. Like Jdc Likes this post
    A.K.A: Jdc420
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuck Yea man. Shit is outta control...

You are awesome!
    == 300zx ==

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jdc View Post
    Fuck Yea man. Shit is outta control...

You are awesome!
    Come try it this summer!

Post Thanks / Like

shit, thats actually pretty cool.. Was always interested in trying it but I figured that ontario would suck for this kinda stuff. Are there a lot of rapids/rivers to go to around here?
    Sittin Sidewayzzzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Naks View Post
    shit, thats actually pretty cool.. Was always interested in trying it but I figured that ontario would suck for this kinda stuff. Are there a lot of rapids/rivers to go to around here?
    Yes sir! PLENTY!!! And World Class Rivers too.. Gatineau, Ottawa, Rouge, St-Lawrence. Plenty of creeks.. Man.. there is SOooooo much to do within2-3 hour drive its unbelieveable!

Its something relatively easy and cheap to get into! Summer starter kit can run you around 400-500$ for boat,skirt, paddle, pfd and helmet. After that, you just need some will to learn, some balls and some paddling buddies! There are also clubs you can join for like.. 15$ a year get discounts in paddling shop, outings every weekend, pool sessions in the winter and plenty more!

Post Thanks / Like

I am actually pretty interested in trying this stuff out. How does one go about starting out? Im an excellent swimmer and I have balls haha, just no gear. I can always rent some though at first and buy my own later on.
    Sittin Sidewayzzzz

Post Thanks / Like

I am actually pretty interested in trying this stuff out. How does one go about starting out? Im an excellent swimmer and I have balls haha, just no gear. I can always rent some though at first and buy my own later on.
    https://www.ottawapaddleshack.ca/rentals 35$ a day gets you (skirt, paddle, helmet, pfd, kayak)..

Right now, the water is still fairly cold and a wetsuit/drysuit is necessary. Late May, Early June gets warm enough to be without cold water gear...

Im willing to teach you the basics here in the rapids at Bates island for a day or two.. and then the weekend after hit up some more interesting stuff Up near Renfrew! :P

As far as buying gear, its fairly cheap and you can find packages on kijiji with all you need or almost its older gear usually but it gets you started with something stable..

Most likely, within a year or two, youll want to upgrade to something for playful as your skills progress!

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehic...AdIdZ372727347

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se...AdIdZ372328328

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehic...AdIdZ370619384

and many many more!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok perfect, I might have a buddy who'd be down to try it out also!
    So technically unless I have a wet suit, I have to wait until the water gets a bit warmer right?
    Sittin Sidewayzzzz

Post Thanks / Like

Ok perfect, I might have a buddy who'd be down to try it out also!
    So technically unless I have a wet suit, I have to wait until the water gets a bit warmer right?
    Yeah! Water is freaking cold still! hahaha How big/tall are you?

Post Thanks / Like

about 6 - 6'1. not sure of my weight but im not a big guy aha, prob around 165 give or take
    Sittin Sidewayzzzz

Post Thanks / Like

KK. Well.. my drysuit would fit you and I could use my wet suit and short top if wed paddle in town here at Bates island.. I wouldnt flip over anyways asides from teaching you how to roll!