Thread: 2014 Infiniti G IPL To Take It To BMW M3, Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2014 Infiniti G IPL To Take It To BMW M3, Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG

http://www.automoblog.net/2012/04/18...-benz-c63-amg/

I'll believe it when I see it. So far, IPL has been a total fail.
    Nearly everybody competing seriously in the luxury segment has a performance lineup, never more prominently than at BMW and Mercedes-Benz with the M and AMG divisions. Audi has S and RS lineups, Cadillac fields the V-Series and Lexus the F (a limited as it has been so far). So far Infiniti hasnít joined the club. Infiniti Performance Lineup (IPL) that introduced on the G was seen as the beginnings of an involvement in performance, but just the beginnings.

IPL isnít a full-blown performance lineup Ė yet. A sporty tune of the G isnít going to cut it versus the BMW M3 and Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG. Infiniti knows that, and we speculated about IPLís future when it first debuted, hoping it would turn into more of a serious performance line. According to Motor Trend, it could turn into one starting with the next-generation G.

The G has been a strong competitor in the rear-wheel drive performance segment. Right now, it is getting long in the tooth. Unfortunately, an update is still a while off. The next-generation G will debut in the summer of 2014, over 2 years away. In a strange twist, the G is sharing a platform and four-cylinder engine with the next-generation Mercedes-Benz C-Class. And they say politics makes strange bedfellows!

Motor Trendís source says that the next-generation G will feature an M3 and C63 AMG-fighting IPL model with ďupwards of 530 horsepower.Ē The engine powering it will be an all-new 3.7-liter direct injection V-6 with twin-turbocharging. The engine will be nearly hand-built at Nissanís exclusive Tochigi plant, where the GT-R is produced. According to the source we could see an ďIPL TochigiĒ moniker emerge that could serve as Infinitiís high-end performance brand. Could real performance be in Infinitiís sights for the first time? If MTís source is right, it looks like it.

Legacy Member
    A.K.A: cloud_strife75
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't they already have an IPL G37 coupe with barely any increase in power at all?

Oh, and goodluck on taking on those names. Many are trying and are still failing... the M3 and AMG cars are the 500- pound Gorillas of that market and always move forward with improvements with each new generation release

I <3 the new M3 and M5 BOOOOOOOOOOST
    ------------ 2010 Black Mica Mazdaspeed 3 ------------
    14.8 @ 95.4MPH at Shitville dragway

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by captobvious75 View Post
    Don't they already have an IPL G37 coupe with barely any increase in power at all?

Oh, and goodluck on taking on those names. Many are trying and are still failing... the M3 and AMG cars are the 500- pound Gorillas of that market and always move forward with improvements with each new generation release

I <3 the new M3 and M5 BOOOOOOOOOOST
    sounds like they're gonna put the R35 engine in the next G though... that might give the M3 something to think about, no?

"I can't make you look stupid any more than Betty Crocker can bake a cake out of fuckin' thin air. It's not that I want to be an asshole, it's just that it comes so easily and I lack either the restraint or good will to say nothing at all."

Legacy Member
    A.K.A: cloud_strife75
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-PWR View Post
    sounds like they're gonna put the R35 engine in the next G though... that might give the M3 something to think about, no?
    Hopefully.. it'll only make the M3 better. I'm not sure how many owners are going to badge swap though... usually once an owner of a badge they usually never leave it

M3 > IPL when it comes to a rich- person's dick measuring contest with the boys if you know what I mean
    ------------ 2010 Black Mica Mazdaspeed 3 ------------
    14.8 @ 95.4MPH at Shitville dragway

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by captobvious75 View Post
    Hopefully.. it'll only make the M3 better. I'm not sure how many owners are going to badge swap though... usually once an owner of a badge they usually never leave it

M3 > IPL when it comes to a rich- person's dick measuring contest with the boys if you know what I mean
    obviously the IPL will be half the price though.

"I can't make you look stupid any more than Betty Crocker can bake a cake out of fuckin' thin air. It's not that I want to be an asshole, it's just that it comes so easily and I lack either the restraint or good will to say nothing at all."