Thread: Hyundai, BMW said to be in talks for alliance on engines

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hyundai, BMW said to be in talks for alliance on engines

Will this affect your perception of either brand?

Ottawa Citizen: German premium carmaker BMW and South Korean group Hyundai Motor are discussing a possible tieup in engine development and other areas, a source with direct knowledge of the matter told Reuters.

"The talks are at early stages," the source said on condition of anonymity because the talks were confidential.
    Another source said the two companies had discussed a comprehensive alliance, including jointly developing an engine and sharing development costs equally. He said he had no knowledge of whether the talks were still under way.
    German industry publication Automobil Produktion reported Thursday that Hyundai Motor Group chairman Chung Mong-koo's son and heir apparent, Chung Eui-sun, met top BMW managers in Munich to discuss sharing $1.3 billion to $2.6 billion engine development costs.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a great idea, two of the biggest power houses in cars these days teaming up. It's a win-win.

Legacy Member
    A.K.A: cloud_strife75
    Post Thanks / Like

Hyundai wants to launch it's own brand of luxury cars sans hyundai name. A joint BMW/Hyundai motor would definitely give the new luxury brand a solid reputation at launch
    ------------ 2010 Black Mica Mazdaspeed 3 ------------
    14.8 @ 95.4MPH at Shitville dragway

A.K.A: b6turbo
    Post Thanks / Like

Presidents choice luxo barges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legacy Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    Presidents choice luxo barges
    PC still makes the most awesome chocolate chip cookies out there...
    Click, Click... Click... shit it's empty.

A.K.A: b6turbo
    Post Thanks / Like

they have delicious deserts too. my point is PC makes a living by copying other peoples ideas and selling it for cheaper. sound familiar?

Legacy Member
    Post Thanks / Like

they have delicious deserts too. my point is PC makes a living by copying other peoples ideas and selling it for cheaper. sound familiar?
    If they improve them in the process like they did with most of their newer vehicles, I have no problem with that. I have yet to meet a recent owner of a Sonata/Elantra/Santa Fe that was not super happy about his car.
    Click, Click... Click... shit it's empty.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what BMW has to gain from this; Hyundai is the clear winner IMO. All it can do is take away market share from BMW.

"I can't make you look stupid any more than Betty Crocker can bake a cake out of fuckin' thin air. It's not that I want to be an asshole, it's just that it comes so easily and I lack either the restraint or good will to say nothing at all."

Post Thanks / Like

that's what everyone does now a days. if no one copied the other guys design there would only be one car company.
    LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-PWR View Post
    I'm not sure what BMW has to gain from this; Hyundai is the clear winner IMO. All it can do is take away market share from BMW.
    BMW has more too learn from Hyundai, I believe.

Dollar for dollar, it's hard to beat hyundai these days, the lead in a lot of segments.

BMW is probably looking into increasing their profit margin without comprimising quality.