Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scion FR-S Review (by me this time)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scion FR-S Review (by me this time)

The Perfect Entry Level Sports Car
    Article: Danny Geraghty
    Posted June 28, 2012

I recently had the chance to drive the new Scion FR-S for a week courtesy of Scion Canada. The level of anticipation for this new model was unmatched since perhaps the 2003 Infiniti G35 / Nissan 350Z were released so I was very excited at this opportunity. Toyota seemed to really want to bring back the cult following from the AE86 and thrust it onto to a modern vehicle and the FR-S is the result.

The car is a joint venture with Subaru who is releasing the same model branded the BR-Z. If you pop the hood youíll notice a Subaru Boxer engine inside. There is a low center of gravity on the car and this contributes to improved handling. In fact I can say that this is one of the best handling cars Iíve ever driven and reminds me of my Type R when I first got it. Since I wasnít allowed to track the vehicle Iíll leave the more technical review of the handling to others but you will not be disappointed with how the FR-S holds the road.

With 200hp there is more than enough punch to keep you happy driving around town. I did find the low end torque a tad lacking but not enough to take away from any driving pleasure. Iíll bet Toyota doesnít want to intrude on the territory that could be filled by any future replacement for the Supra.

The interior is a young sports car enthusiastís dream. Sport bucket seats with red stitching, race pedals and a beautiful steering wheel are all standard. The audio system is modern looking and packs a decent punch though my only complaint is the design of the controls themselves. The flat surface (iPod style) makes is incredibly difficult to hit the correct button (next track, previous track) when youíre driving. Even the slightest bump can cause your finger to hit the wrong one.

Styling-wise this car is a looker. Itís got smooth sleek lines and will turn heads for many years. I do have two complaints however. The first is that the rear lights are Altezza style (clear with red lamps). I know Toyota invented this trend with the 2001 Altezza and IS300 but that fad has passed. The second complaint is the odd looking headlights. Toyota seemed to want to emulate the look of the Lexus LFA but there is something not quite right about the look but Iím unable to put my finger on it. Iím confident that it can be cured with a minor facelift in a year or two. Are these enough to hinder sales of the car? I doubt it.

I decided to try out the FR-S as a family vehicle and installed two baby seats to haul my family around. While no two-door car should be considered as a first choice for a big family, I still enjoyed the experience very much. The anchoring system was well designed and the seats installed perfectly. Foot room for the kids was nonexistent behind the driver but they are not old enough to complain yet so it was a non-issue.

The feel of driving the FR-S was one of quality. I felt like this was simply a well-made car that is built to last. Toyota and Subaru have a winning product for the entry level sports car here. I have to say that Honda seems to have ceded this market segment completely after dominating with the Integra and RSX models in the 90s and 2000s. The fact that the FR-S and BR-Z are rear wheel drive only adds to the flavor of the vehicles which are sure to appear at many drift, drag and track events for years to come.

At DMCC Round 2

At the bank

Great interior

No leg room for the boys

But they still loved it

2. Like -=M=- Likes this post
    Post Thanks / Like

nice car! i would prefer BRZ tho... but not till gey get rid of altezza tails and fake fender vent... thats so stupid. Waiting for 2nd gen

Legacy Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you slapped the kids in there, was curious of the fittment for my daughters lol

Post Thanks / Like

Still have 2 BRZs coming in 4 weeks-ish that have not been pre-purchased. 1 White, 1 WRB and both have the Sport Tech Pkg. (manual trans).

Post Thanks / Like

I test drove an auto one and loved it. Considering buying one as they're fairly cheap and fun as hell to drive.
    Now we were 3 in the car and coming back from alot more hp, the car felt fairly slow, but then again I didnt expect anything more from it. Auto tranny was a breeze and revmatch feature is nice.

There is plenty of overlays for tails out allready so thats not a big issue. You can allways replace the fake vents on the rz by the 86 badge from a fr-s.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a sports car.

Post Thanks / Like

Good write up man, this car and the BRZ are really growing on me.

But common man get your kids some recaro baby buckets

thanks for the thread.

Legacy Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j-b5 View Post
    Not a sports car.
    and your civic is right?
    whatever's pavement!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by belmontking View Post
    and your civic is right?

Quote Originally Posted by Snuka View Post
    The chump on the green biike it looks like u need a new rear tire

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PDP View Post
    Good write up man, this car and the BRZ are really growing on me.

But common man get your kids some recaro baby buckets

thanks for the thread.
    I think Recaros are illegal in Canada. Anyways I'm standing by my Safety First buckets. I've had a number of them over the years and the Safety First ones are top notch.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write-up, agree about the tails, disagree about the heads. One thing that one turn me away from the car is that it requires premium

Post Thanks / Like

Rear facing child seats danny!
    MK2 Lyfe

Legacy Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You also don't have the tethers attached. That's a no-no. The LAT in LATCH stands for Lower Anchors and Tethers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -=M=- View Post
    Nice write-up, agree about the tails, disagree about the heads. One thing that one turn me away from the car is that it requires premium
    Does it require premium as in 91 or 94 in the owner's manual due to the 12.5 compression?

Legacy Member
    A.K.A: cloud_strife75
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ek_Matt View Post
    Does it require premium as in 91 or 94 in the owner's manual due to the 12.5 compression?
    Probably 91 since its direct injection
    ------------ 2010 Black Mica Mazdaspeed 3 ------------
    14.8 @ 95.4MPH at Shitville dragway

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Grey Area View Post
    Rear facing child seats danny!
    Kids are too heavy for that.after a certain weight, it is recommended to move them forward facing.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Full Monty View Post
    only a fool with a low self esteem will care about what others think you drive

Legacy Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see this and the genesis go head to head test.
    I know my spelling sucks get over it you Tard JB AUTO http://www.jbauto.ca/

D-SERIES GURU :P

"paying someone to install parts on your car and be proud that its fast, is like having someone fuck your wife and being proud to have their kid and raising it"

Legacy Member
    Post Thanks / Like

^^ genesis would win for sure.
    94 JDM integra= SOLD!
    MK4 jetta 1.8T: SOLD!
    96 EK 4dr honduh with snail = SOLD TO 16 YEAR OLD, TOTALED 3 DAYS LATER

Post Thanks / Like

^^maybe in a straight line but it would loose every other test.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Full Monty View Post
    only a fool with a low self esteem will care about what others think you drive

Legacy Member
    A.K.A: cloud_strife75
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AWDGuy View Post
    ^^maybe in a straight line but it would loose every other test.
    Insideline had the 2.0T through the cones at 69.2mph, grip at. 89g and braking at 112ft. Not bad at all

Sent from my Atrix
    ------------ 2010 Black Mica Mazdaspeed 3 ------------
    14.8 @ 95.4MPH at Shitville dragway