Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of the RAM 2500 Diesel?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you think of the RAM 2500 Diesel?

I had an inquiry from a buddy about the 2012 RAM Diesel from a buddy. He'd like to buy a 2012 with about 30-50,000 km on it and was looking for feedback compared to the other choices in 2500 diesel. Has anyone driven it and would you be willing to share your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Tell him to get the Ford body, the Allison tranny and the Cummins engine...

Post Thanks / Like

Cummins epic powerplant!
    MK2 Lyfe

Legacy Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Grey Area View Post
    Cummins epic powerplant!
    -Driven nothing in the segment.

Post Thanks / Like

Based on what I've heard over the years with friends driving different types of these trucks, The Cummins engine is probably the most durable. However, Dodge hasn't been known to be making durable front ends. If he's going to use this as a penis extension and on road with light off road, then nothing to worry about. If it's going to be used the way it should be, it may be something to keep in mind. Ford has solid reputation, and so far, their new diesels arent bad. Chevy/GM is most likely the top contender. SoI'd say Chevy/For first before the Dodge.
    I could be wrong, but research and reviews is always the best way to find out. You may get people being biased as to what they like. If you ask a Chevy guy how a Dodge is, he'll tell you its shit. If you ask a Ford guy how a Chevy is, he'll say it's shit; and so on and so on.
    Some people call me the Space Cowboy.

Legacy Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you think of the RAM 2500 Diesel?

Quote Originally Posted by Trueno View Post
    Tell him to get the Ford body, the Allison tranny and the Cummins engine...
    That would be a dream of a truck.

I have a ram 3500 5.9 diesel. It's getting
    Close to 100,000 km mark now. So far it's been a good truck. If I had to buy another diesel I'd probably buy another dodge.

Like stated in the previous post. Get ready to change front end parts.
    Pen.

Legacy Member
    Post Thanks / Like

who ever told you ford has a solid reputation for trucks... is wrong.. its not the 1980's anymore... ford has made a crap diesel since they got rid of the 7.3... they cant go 50,000clicks without needing some huge repair.

dodge makes an unbeatable diesel. but like said above. they go through front ends. wheel bearings and ball joints. atleast annually. but its one son of a tough truck.

GM makes a beast of a diesel too, and the chasis needs little attention.

GM and dodge are neck and neck on my awesome truck list.. and id rather drive a hino cab over, before purchasing a ford F250/350 diesel.

i used to be a ford tech who worked on those lemons.. and I currently have a 2004 ram2500 diesel, 2005 ram3500 diesel, and a 06 gmc 3500 diesel
    Last edited by blackfoot; 02-23-2013 at 12:24 AM.

8. Like The Grey Area Likes this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I meant Ford as solid reputation, I meant the current models. Not anything before 2010
    Some people call me the Space Cowboy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Full Monty View Post
    Dodge hasn't been known to be making durable front ends.
    That's my thought as well

Legacy Member
    Post Thanks / Like

More like 2002 and newer

Legacy Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    who ever told you ford has a solid reputation for trucks... is wrong.. its not the 1980's anymore... ford has made a crap diesel since they got rid of the 7.3... they cant go 50,000clicks without needing some huge repair.

dodge makes an unbeatable diesel. but like said above. they go through front ends. wheel bearings and ball joints. atleast annually. but its one son of a touch truck.

GM and dodge are neck and neck on my awesome truck list.. and id rather drive a humo cab over, before purchasing a ford F250/350 diesel.

i used to be a ford tech who worked on those lemons.. and I currently have a 2004 ram2500 diesel, 2005 ram3500 diesel, and a 06 gmc 3500 diesel
    I agree with almost everything you said. We have all three of the Big Brand Diesel trucks at work.

I drive a Diesel 3500 Chev Dually daily and its a great truck for sure, great motor and fantastic transmission,very very comfortable riding truck also hands down the best.

The Dodge Diesels 3500-5500 are also good trucks, ride is a lot harsher compared to the Chevy but the Cummins motors are reliable and there hasn't been much issue mechanically with them, they are hard on front end parts for sure though.

As for the Ford Diesels they are complete lemons. All of them have had major issues so far along with having to have Exhaust Manifolds(1-2yr old trucks) replaced which results in having to jack the cab up off the frame to get the job done,complete nightmare. Mechanics at my work cant stand working on the Ford's, if there are any trucks left in the yard its guranteed to be a Ford nobody wants to drive them. The older Fords with the 7.3L were hard to beat but I wouldn't touch a new Ford Diesel after all the issues I have seen first hand.

Chevy or Dodge would be my pick,I'm partial to Chevy but the Dodge is a close 2nd.

Post Thanks / Like

Love my Duramax! The cummings is one of the best diesels for the 2500/3500 trucks. There auto transmissions, big fail. Get a standard and your good. The Allison in the GM's is great. But if you crank up the power 24/7, they will fail unless built. Front ends on dodge are horrible.
    Id look at the GM or Dodge, couldent go wrong with either. Stay away from Ford.
    1998 ZR2 SFA 35" BFG KM2's 4.56 gears locked Dana 30/Ford 8.8
    F*** mall crawlers!
    2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD EFI Live. 8000LBS 14.9 1/4 mile

Legacy Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just get AC DELCO life time warrenty front end parts for your dodge.. You'll never have to pay for the parts again after the first time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by civic01 View Post
    That would be a dream of a truck.

I have a ram 3500 5.9 diesel. It's getting
    Close to 100,000 km mark now. So far it's been a good truck. If I had to buy another diesel I'd probably buy another dodge.

Like stated in the previous post. Get ready to change front end parts.

to bad you cant get the 5.9 anymore ....6.7 sucks truck nuts

Post Thanks / Like

Just get AC DELCO life time warrenty front end parts for your dodge.. You'll never have to pay for the parts again after the first time
    If you read the fine print on the warranty card, there is no warranty against normal wear and tear. Only lifetime against defects. And I believe you need an invoice from a shop to prove they were installed correctly. Unless something changed since I got out of parts.
    That being said, if your parts supplier likes you... They often let that stuff fly.
    F*** mall crawlers!

Legacy Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see where you're going.. I've never had an issue claiming the warrenty

Post Thanks / Like

As long as you dont claim everything you buy, your usually good. If you screw with your supplier, they may start to pull out all the fine print on ya. Canadian tire is just too stupid to know their own policy.
    When I worked at Benson Auto parts, our bigger customers would send parts that were ordered wrong. I would push them through as a miss packed part or warranty for them. The smaller accounts that would always whine and bitch. Well they would get them back with no refund. And sometimes I would send them a ton of paperwork to fill out to get their claim.
    I had one customer that told us the wrong info on a vehicle. We knew his customer, and what the vehicle actually was. We marked the part with some paint and sent it to him. After trying to install it, he then ordered the right part saying it was for another vehicle. He then sent the wrong part back as a new return in the right parts box. He was pissed when he got caught in that lie. Didnt order anything for a month until napa did the same thing to him.
    F*** mall crawlers!

Post Thanks / Like

half done diesel coming out in the next few months

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...el-pickup.html

descent gas mileage and tons of pulling power.

Post Thanks / Like

dodge makes an unbeatable diesel. but like said above. they go through front ends. wheel bearings and ball joints. atleast annually. but its one son of a tough truck.

GM and dodge are neck and neck on my awesome truck list.. and id rather drive a hino cab over, before purchasing a ford F250/350 diesel.

This. +1
    Need parts, call or visit Mike @ No Limits Auto Parts.
    2684 Fenton Rd.(Albion & Lietrim) 613-822-6226
    Mon to Fri 8am to 5:30pm, Sat 9am to Noon

Legacy Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had any issues with my F350 diesel (6.0L) in 130k of ownership. It has pulled a 10k lb trailer every day of it's life.
    Since new, I've replaced one tie rod, brakes and a set of tires. I replaced the batteries last fall.
    Great trucks. It's how you maintain them. Rotella T6 oil and PS additive each tank.

I've got Chevy and Ford half and 3/4 tonnes as well. All great vehicles.

You couldn't give me a Dodge truck of any year. Great motors, trapped in a disposable chassis. They truly are the Dodge Neons of the truck world.
    There's a reason why you don't see Dodges used for any sort of work. They even fall apart when the sales guys drive them.

If you need a 3/4 or 1 tonne truck, buy the Chev/Duramax if you have the money. Great trucks but you pay for them.
    Otherwise, the Fords make a good work truck if that's what you're looking for.
    Mk1 VW Cabriolet 16v
    Ford F150 FX4
    Honda TRX450r
    Honda F12-X turbo