Thread: Insurance - hit by drunk driver

Legacy Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Insurance - hit by drunk driver

Brand new car, less than 10K on it, and only had it for less than a year. Car is parked on the street, and drunk driver rams into the back of it at 80 kph -- 2 witnesses, full police report, etc. Bumpers smashed, all sensors need to be replaced, frame is pushed in, assuming around $10-15K worth of damage.

Have the depreciation clause on the auto policy that's protects full value of the car (MSRP) for 24 months.

I've read that this depreciation clause is only for "total loss," but there's no real context further than that.

Has anyone dealt with this situation, and what was the outcome?
    www.neakta.com

Quote Originally Posted by revolvo View Post
    i can pick up any girl you want just need a rag and a bottle of chloroform

Post Thanks / Like

I hear of similar situations a handful of times every year through work. Unfortunately, the insurance will deem the vehicle as repairable and fix any issues given its age/actual market value (more than 15k I'm presuming).

As you stated, the depreciation clause is there to protect you against a depreciating asset for a 24 month period. They will not write off the car unless the damages exceed the current market value of the vehicle. I hate to say that you've been dealt a bad hand with this accident, made even worse by the fact that it was sitting there At the end of the day, you will be stuck with an elevated repair quote on CarProof when you trade in the vehicle which will no doubt affect your trade in value down the road.

Best of luck. Maybe you can attempt to negotiate with your insurance company. We all know that's never easy

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe this. It's such a scam to have any total damage coverage. I'm sorry to say, but you'll most likely have to pay for the repairs yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

what kinda car